Mason Wyler Comes Clean
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 24 2010 7:35 PM ET
Now that it’s out there and you’re in a position to become an advocate for HIV prevention, is that something you see yourself doing?
If the opportunity were to present itself, sure. I wouldn’t mind doing it. But I think the education’s there. I think there should be better education when it comes to testing and what the different types of tests mean. I think there are kids who will automatically assume that just because you have a test that says HIV-negative, you are, and they don’t understand the window periods.
How do you imagine this will affect your career?
My career, in my opinion, was slowing down. I’d worked for practically every studio there was to work for — I’d done 200 to 300 scenes. The e-mails were slowing down, the phone calls were slowing down. I just figured this contract I had with Next Door Studios was a good deal and that eventually people would get tired of me and my career would kind of come to an end and I’d have to go off and do something else.
Any idea what that might be?
I went to school to be a teacher, so I was thinking of going back to school, getting a master’s degree, and becoming a professor. I figured it would be easier to be a professor if my background came back to bite me in the ass. Colleges and universities are much more liberal when it comes to things like that, as opposed to being a high school, where it actually would be a big problem.
Do you imagine you’ll ever perform again?
If the offer’s there. I know there are other porn models who are HIV-positive. The difference with me is I feel I’ve become kind of the face of HIV in the porn world for this moment in time. Now I feel like my name, my face, and my body will be associated with that, but I don’t know how it would affect sales. It’s all up to the studios and what they think and, I mean, as long as my scene partners know my status and hopefully are positive themselves. Condom porn, I would go for it.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM