Milestone: Gay Servicemen March in Pride Parade
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 18 2011 10:25 AM ET
Despite warnings that "don't ask, don't tell" is still in the process of being erased from the books, about 200 active-duty troops and veterans marched in San Diego's gay pride parade this weekend. Reports say this could be the first time gay servicemen have ever marched openly together at any pride parade in the U.S.
Crowds cheered on as members of every military branch passed by, alongside the normal contingents of drag queens, gay choirs, church groups, and more. What follows are photos from the jubilant moment. — Lucas Grindley
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Best of Pride
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Why Does Vogue Think Bisexuality Is a Phase?