GLAAD's Picks: See the Best Gay-Themed Ads
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 02 2011 5:00 AM ET
Marketers repeatedly point to studies showing LGBT people appreciate when an ad obviously takes us into consideration, and so the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation has thanked them by honoring what it says are the best gay-themed ads from the last year.
GLAAD's acting president, Mike Thompson, noted in a statement announcing the 2011 Amplifier Awards today that when his group began more than 20 years ago "fair and accurate images of LGBT people were few and far between." Things are improving, as evidenced by this year's picks, even if, he said, "The advertising industry is still behind news and entertainment media in terms of including images that reflect the diversity of LGBT people."
The GLAAD list includes the heart-warming commercial from Google Chrome that featured the It Gets Better campaign. And we've rounded up a few of the most memorable nominees in the following pages. Get a complete list at GLAAD's website.
Outstanding TV Campaign – Mainstream Market
"The Web is What You Make of It: It Gets Better Project"
Google Chrome's ad featuring the It Gets Better Project aired for the first time during, of all things, an episode of Glee. And praise for the commercial spread quickly among the LGBT community. It's hard to think of a more touching ad that you actually wanted to share with your friends as soon as you saw it.
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: Russian Doll? 47 min 33 sec ago
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV 7:00 AM
- Film Queer Fan Art: The Hobbit 6:30 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 5:00 AM
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 4:00 AM
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM