GLAAD's Picks: See the Best Gay-Themed Ads
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 02 2011 6:00 AM ET
Marketers repeatedly point to studies showing LGBT people appreciate when an ad obviously takes us into consideration, and so the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation has thanked them by honoring what it says are the best gay-themed ads from the last year.
GLAAD's acting president, Mike Thompson, noted in a statement announcing the 2011 Amplifier Awards today that when his group began more than 20 years ago "fair and accurate images of LGBT people were few and far between." Things are improving, as evidenced by this year's picks, even if, he said, "The advertising industry is still behind news and entertainment media in terms of including images that reflect the diversity of LGBT people."
The GLAAD list includes the heart-warming commercial from Google Chrome that featured the It Gets Better campaign. And we've rounded up a few of the most memorable nominees in the following pages. Get a complete list at GLAAD's website.
Outstanding TV Campaign – Mainstream Market
"The Web is What You Make of It: It Gets Better Project"
Google Chrome's ad featuring the It Gets Better Project aired for the first time during, of all things, an episode of Glee. And praise for the commercial spread quickly among the LGBT community. It's hard to think of a more touching ad that you actually wanted to share with your friends as soon as you saw it.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Meet the First Trans Pastor Officially Ordained by the Evangelical Lutheran Church
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- Hillary Clinton's Kind Words to Gay Kid 'Afraid' for His Future