Filmmakers Work for Marriage Equality
BY Josh Hinkle
February 07 2012 5:00 AM ET
As North Carolinians debate a ballot initiative that would amend the state constitution to permanently deny marriage rights to same-sex couples, rather than rely on typical campaign commercials, the guys behind Working Films are trying an alternative strategy called Reel Equality.
The project is a North Carolina–based initiative that highlights real couples and families whose lives have been affected by antigay laws and policies like the proposed Amendment 1.
"The concept for us using documentary film to promote activism is important," says Andy Myers, one of the principals of Working Films. "Seeing a documentary about gay people provides an outlet for empathy."
So far five of the documentaries — some of which have been honored by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences — have been completed, and another is in production. The films were initially screened all across North Carolina, but they will be eventually shown in at least 20 locations.
Click through to view trailers from each of the documentaries.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 13 min 1 sec ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 47 min 12 sec ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 47 min 12 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 47 min 22 sec ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM