Gay Couple Wins Challenge Against Christian B&B Owners
BY Julie Bolcer
July 19 2012 8:48 AM ET
The Canadian bed-and-breakfast owners who denied service to a gay male couple because of their personal religious beliefs must pay a fine of more than $4,500, the human rights tribunal of British Columbia ruled last week.
According to the Vancouver Sun, the tribunal did not accept the argument from Les and Susan Molnar, a retired couple from Grand Forks, that they had barred Shaun Eadie and Brian Thomas only from their private home in July 2009. Tribunal member Enid Marion held that the bed-and-breakfast area was separate, which made it subject to the discrimination rules that govern commercial spaces. The Riverbed and Breakfast closed shortly after the incident.
Three years ago Eadie called the B&B to reserve a single room. The Molars suspected that the reservation was for a gay couple, so they called back to cancel the reservation. Eadie and Thomas filed a complaint.
Les and Susan Molnar, devout Christians, testified that they have suffered harassment because of the publicity surrounding the episode. According the Sun, “the Molnars were ordered to pay each of the complainants $1,500 for damages, $340 for travel expenses, and more than $400 for lost wages to attend the hearing in Kelowna.”
Thomas told CBC News that he and Eadie were pleased with the outcome.
"Sometimes you have to stick your neck out, and we stuck our necks out and we feel good and vindicated that we did for the benefit of people coming behind us," he said.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Book Excerpt: Gender Is More Than Performance
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM