Same-Sex Buddhist Couple Marries in Taiwan
BY Julie Bolcer
August 12 2012 10:02 AM ET
Two women became the first same-sex couple to marry in a Buddhist ceremony in Taiwan on Saturday, an act the brides hope will prompt the country to recognize marriage equality.
Agence France-Presse reports on the wedding of Fish Huang and You Ya-ting, both 30, at a monastery in Taoyuan in northern Taiwan. Shih Chao-hui, a female Buddhist minister and social activist, presided over the ceremony.
"We are witnessing history. The two women are willing to stand out and fight for their fate... to overcome social discrimination," she said, according to AFP, with nearly 300 Buddhist attendees chanting sutras to bless the couple. The brides’ parents did not attend because of concerns about the media attention.
The historic wedding, which is not legally binding, took place as advocates in Taiwan continue to press the government to recognize same-sex unions. Gay rights groups want President Ma Ying-jeou, who has previously called for public consensus on the issue, to push for legislation before his term ends in 2016. The couple married Saturday wrote an open letter to President Ma asking him to recognize marriage as soon as possible, according to the Taipei Times.
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 1 hour 3 min ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 1 hour 39 min ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 1 hour 41 min ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 2 hours 8 min ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 2 hours 39 min ago
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM