Same-Sex Buddhist Couple Marries in Taiwan
BY Julie Bolcer
August 12 2012 10:02 AM ET
Two women became the first same-sex couple to marry in a Buddhist ceremony in Taiwan on Saturday, an act the brides hope will prompt the country to recognize marriage equality.
Agence France-Presse reports on the wedding of Fish Huang and You Ya-ting, both 30, at a monastery in Taoyuan in northern Taiwan. Shih Chao-hui, a female Buddhist minister and social activist, presided over the ceremony.
"We are witnessing history. The two women are willing to stand out and fight for their fate... to overcome social discrimination," she said, according to AFP, with nearly 300 Buddhist attendees chanting sutras to bless the couple. The brides’ parents did not attend because of concerns about the media attention.
The historic wedding, which is not legally binding, took place as advocates in Taiwan continue to press the government to recognize same-sex unions. Gay rights groups want President Ma Ying-jeou, who has previously called for public consensus on the issue, to push for legislation before his term ends in 2016. The couple married Saturday wrote an open letter to President Ma asking him to recognize marriage as soon as possible, according to the Taipei Times.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5 min 22 sec ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM