British Judge Rules Gay Executive's Temperamental BF Didn't Start House Fire
BY Neal Broverman
September 17 2012 3:12 PM ET
A bizarre case in Britain is over now that a judge ruled that a gay executive's boyfriend, prone to temper tantrums, didn't intentionally start a fire that burned down their Brighton home and killed their three cats.
Jonathan Smyth's pricey Brighton townhouse caught fire in January 2008, but the insurance company refused to pay for the damage, saying Smyth's boyfriend, Tony Howe, started the fire in a drunken rage. But a judge ruled it was the couple's female houseguest who likely caused the fire through carelessness, and ordered the insurance company pay hundreds thousands of pounds to Smyth. Houseguest Rebecca Alexander admitted to messiness; she smoked in her bedroom and it's thought one of her cigarettes caused the fire. After the fire, Alexander claimed Howe set the blaze, and that it was in keeping with his ferocious temper.
Both Smyth and Howe admitted the latter man was prone to hissy fits, with Howe saying, "'I do have other types of 'Tony Tantrum.' I have lain on the floor in (a) Marks & Spenscer (store) completely sober and made everybody laugh because I couldn't get my own way about a bacon sandwich."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 2 hours 2 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 42 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM