We Are Here: LGBTI in Uganda
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 02 2013 4:00 AM ET
Photos by D. David Robinson © 2013, for use by The Advocate with this article only. All rights reserved. Subjects have approved use of images contained herein.
Richard Lusimbo, 26-year-old gay man, lead researcher for SMUG
The first time I understood my sexual orientation was when I attended a meeting with other school leaders as head prefect of my high school. That was the first time things really opened up for me — everything was vivid. I suddenly understood and accepted my sexual orientation. Then at university, I went back into denial, living quietly and dating women. That didn’t work.
In 2011 I began to volunteer for SMUG, which led to my current full-time position as their lead researcher. I’ve traveled with SMUG around Uganda, gathering stories from those who have had to hide — people who have been chased from their workplaces and homes, just for being who they are. Through this I have found my path and passion. I am dedicated to this work.
But earlier this year, when cameras caught me leaving a courtroom during the high-profile Ugandan LGBTI HRDs v. Reverend Fr. Lokodo case, it was like a bomb went off in my life. Friends and family watching TV immediately began to text and phone me. Some wanted to know if I was OK; others hurled hateful remarks. I’ve always played it safe, stayed quiet. And yet suddenly, and in a big way — I am out.
There’s a lot of ignorance and negativity in Uganda about homosexuality. In this country, dialogue is the best way to go, but government officials won’t allow the conversation to develop.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM