We Are Here: LGBTI in Uganda
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 02 2013 5:00 AM ET
Photos by D. David Robinson © 2013, for use by The Advocate with this article only. All rights reserved. Subjects have approved use of images contained herein.
Richard Lusimbo, 26-year-old gay man, lead researcher for SMUG
The first time I understood my sexual orientation was when I attended a meeting with other school leaders as head prefect of my high school. That was the first time things really opened up for me — everything was vivid. I suddenly understood and accepted my sexual orientation. Then at university, I went back into denial, living quietly and dating women. That didn’t work.
In 2011 I began to volunteer for SMUG, which led to my current full-time position as their lead researcher. I’ve traveled with SMUG around Uganda, gathering stories from those who have had to hide — people who have been chased from their workplaces and homes, just for being who they are. Through this I have found my path and passion. I am dedicated to this work.
But earlier this year, when cameras caught me leaving a courtroom during the high-profile Ugandan LGBTI HRDs v. Reverend Fr. Lokodo case, it was like a bomb went off in my life. Friends and family watching TV immediately began to text and phone me. Some wanted to know if I was OK; others hurled hateful remarks. I’ve always played it safe, stayed quiet. And yet suddenly, and in a big way — I am out.
There’s a lot of ignorance and negativity in Uganda about homosexuality. In this country, dialogue is the best way to go, but government officials won’t allow the conversation to develop.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 2 min 35 sec ago
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM