We Are Here: LGBTI in Uganda
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 02 2013 4:00 AM ET
Photos by D. David Robinson © 2013, for use by The Advocate with this article only. All rights reserved. Subjects have approved use of images contained herein.
Kaliisa Elijah, 34-year-old gay man
As a kid, I thought I had been bewitched by one of my stepmothers — I had six — or that I’d been possessed by an evil spirit from the mountains or lakes near my village. I didn’t accept myself, my sexual thoughts or feelings. I considered myself to be of no use. Suicide seemed to be one of my only options to escape from the pain.
I was born a Muslim but converted to Christianity as a young man, thinking I would be cured of my attraction to men. I talked to church leaders believing that they would be able to help, but that did not happen. Instead, the more I prayed, the more I loved men. It wasn’t until I met others who were born gay like me that I began to accept myself and to see that being gay isn’t a mistake or an accident.
Now, when I’m traveling between Mbarara and Kampala, I sometimes see young adults who remind me of my struggling, younger self. Sometimes I reach out to them. I tell them that I am also kuchu, that they are not alone. They are always surprised. They ask, “How did you know?”
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM