PHOTOS: France's Government Worried By Violent Antigay Backlash
BY Lucas Grindley
April 18 2013 12:50 PM ET
With protests against marriage equality turning into outbreaks of violence, the French government is worried about a final vote scheduled for next week.
French President Francois Hollande said during a news conference that he "cannot accept" violence and "homophobic acts," according to Reuters. Hollande, a Socialist, campaigned on passage of marriage equality and allowing same-sex couples to adopt children. While he said "everyone must be heard" he also said "the law and parliament also need to be respected."
In recent days a Dutch man said he was walking arm-in-arm when he was brutally assaulted. Photos of his beaten face spread internationally via the Internet. Now politicians are receiving threatening letters, a gay bar was attacked and there are arrests at increasingly confrontational protests by opponents of same-sex marriage.
See photos of it all on the following pages.
Four men burst into a gay bar on Wednesday in the city of Lille and began trashing it, injuring several employees. "They came to beat up gays - that's exactly how they phrased it," the proprietor of the bar told Reuters. The men were later detained by police.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Joe Rogan Has Gay Locker Room Stalker
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM