Alexei Davydov, Leading Russian Gay Activist, Dead at 36
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 28 2013 11:53 AM ET
A leading LGBT activist in Russia died on Friday morning after contracting a fatal infection, the Huffington Post reports. Alexei Davydov was just 36 years old.
Davydov was diabetic and on dialysis, various reports confirm, and last month contracted an infection that led to kidney failure.
In July, Davydov protested Russia's newly passed ban on so-called gay propaganda, carrying a banner that read "Homophobia, the religion of trash," in Moscow's Red Square, according to Buzzfeed. Earlier this month, he stood outside Russia's parliament, the State Duma, dressed as a doctor, and offered to take away deputies for their antigay madness, reports Gay Russia. He had reportedly planned to participate in the Moscow protest earlier this week where 10 LGBT activists were arrested, but was hospitalized that morning.
Davydov was a well-known human rights activist and one of the few close confidants of infamous Russian LGBT activist Nikolai Alexeyev, the outspoken and often volatile gay man known as much for protesting Russia's violent oppression of LGBT people as much as his anti-Semitism.
Davydov co-founded Moscow Pride with Alexeyev in 2007, according to England's Gay Star News, in addition to being a founding member of the country's LGBT Rights group.
"He made an enormous contribution to the Russian LGBT movement since 2006," wrote Alexeyev on his Facebook Friday. "He never cared about arrests and attacks. He just pursued our mutual goal! He has no relatives. He dedicated all his life to activism."
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM