Alexei Davydov, Leading Russian Gay Activist, Dead at 36
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 28 2013 11:53 AM ET
A leading LGBT activist in Russia died on Friday morning after contracting a fatal infection, the Huffington Post reports. Alexei Davydov was just 36 years old.
Davydov was diabetic and on dialysis, various reports confirm, and last month contracted an infection that led to kidney failure.
In July, Davydov protested Russia's newly passed ban on so-called gay propaganda, carrying a banner that read "Homophobia, the religion of trash," in Moscow's Red Square, according to Buzzfeed. Earlier this month, he stood outside Russia's parliament, the State Duma, dressed as a doctor, and offered to take away deputies for their antigay madness, reports Gay Russia. He had reportedly planned to participate in the Moscow protest earlier this week where 10 LGBT activists were arrested, but was hospitalized that morning.
Davydov was a well-known human rights activist and one of the few close confidants of infamous Russian LGBT activist Nikolai Alexeyev, the outspoken and often volatile gay man known as much for protesting Russia's violent oppression of LGBT people as much as his anti-Semitism.
Davydov co-founded Moscow Pride with Alexeyev in 2007, according to England's Gay Star News, in addition to being a founding member of the country's LGBT Rights group.
"He made an enormous contribution to the Russian LGBT movement since 2006," wrote Alexeyev on his Facebook Friday. "He never cared about arrests and attacks. He just pursued our mutual goal! He has no relatives. He dedicated all his life to activism."
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 9 min 37 sec ago
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 42 min 36 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 1 hour 2 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 2 hours 53 min ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 3:20 PM
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2:50 PM