Alexei Davydov, Leading Russian Gay Activist, Dead at 36
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 28 2013 12:53 PM ET
A leading LGBT activist in Russia died on Friday morning after contracting a fatal infection, the Huffington Post reports. Alexei Davydov was just 36 years old.
Davydov was diabetic and on dialysis, various reports confirm, and last month contracted an infection that led to kidney failure.
In July, Davydov protested Russia's newly passed ban on so-called gay propaganda, carrying a banner that read "Homophobia, the religion of trash," in Moscow's Red Square, according to Buzzfeed. Earlier this month, he stood outside Russia's parliament, the State Duma, dressed as a doctor, and offered to take away deputies for their antigay madness, reports Gay Russia. He had reportedly planned to participate in the Moscow protest earlier this week where 10 LGBT activists were arrested, but was hospitalized that morning.
Davydov was a well-known human rights activist and one of the few close confidants of infamous Russian LGBT activist Nikolai Alexeyev, the outspoken and often volatile gay man known as much for protesting Russia's violent oppression of LGBT people as much as his anti-Semitism.
Davydov co-founded Moscow Pride with Alexeyev in 2007, according to England's Gay Star News, in addition to being a founding member of the country's LGBT Rights group.
"He made an enormous contribution to the Russian LGBT movement since 2006," wrote Alexeyev on his Facebook Friday. "He never cared about arrests and attacks. He just pursued our mutual goal! He has no relatives. He dedicated all his life to activism."
- Theater Adam Shankman to Helm Hair at Hollywood Bowl 13 min 45 sec ago
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 18 min 46 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 1 hour 11 min ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 1 hour 19 min ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 1 hour 22 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 1 hour 38 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 2 hours 46 min ago