Israeli Mayor: Thank God, No Gays in My City
BY Trudy Ring
November 12 2013 8:53 PM ET
The recently reelected mayor of Beit Shemesh, Israel, claims there are no gay people in his city, which he describes as “holy and pure.”
Mayor Moshe Abutbul, an ultra-Orthodox Jew, made the assertion Friday in a television interview, The Times of Israel reports. When an interviewer for Channel 10 asked him about gays in his city, Abutbul said, “We have no such things. … Thank God this city is holy and pure.” He also said it was up to police and public health officials to “take care of” LGBT people.
In the same broadcast, a gay resident of Beit Shemesh, a city of about 75,000 located west of Jerusalem, said there are actually numerous LGBT citizens there. And in a separate interview, Beit Shemesh native Elinor Sidi, who now heads the Jerusalem Open House, an LGBT organization, lamented the “hatred, ignorance, homophobia, and racism” that she says have grown in Beit Shemesh as many ultra-Orthodox Jews have moved there in the past few years.
“I can only regret the change the city has undergone in recent years,” Sidi told Ynet News. She said LGBT people were present in Beit Shemesh “before Abutbul,” whose “Judaism is not the Judaism I was raised on.”
Abutbul narrowly won reelection last month over a secular opponent. Beit Shemesh has lately seen frequent conflicts between the ultra-Orthodox and more liberal residents, according to the Times. In 2011 an 8-year-old girl was harassed by ultra-Orthodox men as she walked to school, and there have been incidents of ultra-Orthodox men attempting to make women passengers move to the back of city buses.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM