Two Gay Politicians to Lead Luxembourg's Government
BY Michelle Garcia
November 18 2013 3:15 PM ET
The gay man expected to be the new prime minister of Luxembourg says he will make sure to establish legal marriage equality as one of his first acts in office.
Xavier Bettel was selected to form the next coalition government by Grand Duke Henri, the country's head of state, according to BuzzFeed. If the Socialist and Green parties can broker a coalition, he will become the next prime minister. He said he would appoint Etienne Schneider, the gay leader of Luxembourg's Socialist Workers Party, to be the vice-prime minister.
In addition to strengthening the small country's economy, Bettel said he wanted to bring marriage equality to Luxembourg within his first year in office.
Bettel said the climate has changed for LGBT politicians since he first entered the field in the late 1990s.
"I once had a [female politician] who said I was more lady than her," He told BuzzFeed. "But society is changing and what would be considered as not normal is fully normal nowadays. You can live your life as yourself and be considered as you are — not because you look like a politician who is married and with children."
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Current Issue Derek Jarman's Alternative to The New Gay Credo 15 min 19 sec ago
- Archives From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69 16 min 27 sec ago
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 2 hours 16 min ago
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM