Russian Anchor Who Thinks Gay Hearts Should Be Burned to Lead News Agency
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 09 2013 3:02 PM ET
Russian president Vladimir Putin has just dissolved one of the nation's best-known state-run news agencies and radio broadcasts in a "reorganization," reports the soon-to-be-defunct RIA Novosti.
Putin issued two decrees over the weekend which will disassemble RIA Novosti and the state-owned Voice of Russia radio into a new Kremlin-backed joint multimedia venture called Rossiya Segodnya, according to RIA Novosti.
Leading that new media conglomerate will be popular Russian television anchor Dmitry Kiselyov, who garnered international headlines earlier this year when he appeared on a different state-run network to say that Russia's ban on so-called gay propaganda "is not enough," and that if a gay person dies in an auto accident, their heart should be "buried in the ground or burned." Kiselyov currently hosts Russia's most popular news program, Vesti.
The reorganization is part of what RIA describes as several shifts in Russia's media landscape, "which appear to point toward a tightening of state control in the already heavily regulated media sector."
The new media conglomerate's name translates to "Russia Today," reports RIA Novosti, though the new venture will be separate from the Kremlin-backed English network with the same name, now commonly known as RT.
RIA Novosti's report notes that it was founded as the Soviet Information Bureau in 1941, just days after the Nazis invaded the former Soviet Union, and now boasts reporters in more than 45 countries, producing stories in 14 different languages.
- Love and Sex Single, Fun, Fit, and 50 5 min 15 sec ago
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 22 min 3 sec ago
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 1 hour 21 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 1 hour 27 min ago
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 2 hours 11 min ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 2 hours 11 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 7, ‘Velvet Rope’ 2 hours 13 min ago