PHOTOS: A Day for History in Washington
BY Lucas Grindley
December 06 2012 12:07 PM ET
Among the first round of couples to get their marriage licenses as soon as allowed by Washington State are Dan Savage and Terry Miller.
The founders of the It Gets Better campaign were married in Canada in 2005 and had said they spent thousands on legal work needed to secure some of the rights afforded married couples, including living wills and power of attorney. But for the first time they were able to take a real step toward marriage in their home state.
State law requires a three-day waiting period from getting a license and having a ceremony, so the first day same-sex couples can actually be wed is Sunday.
Savage said "I wouldn't have believed you" if told as a kid that this day could come. “It’s really a remarkable journey we’ve been on and such a remarkable sea change,” said Savage in a video from the Seattle P-I. “And not just for gay people, but straight people have changed, too. It’s gotten better for us because straight people have gotten better about us. And that's the difference, and gay people made that happen. We came out.”
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the first marriage license in King County was issued at 12:01 a.m. to Jane Abbott Lighty and Pete-e Petersen. It was one of two counties, the other being Thurston County, that stayed open to make history.
See photos and video of couples getting their marriage licenses on the following pages.
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 1 hour 9 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 1 hour 10 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 1 hour 10 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM