Airman Discharged Under DADT to be Honored at Inauguration
BY Michelle Garcia
January 20 2013 1:02 PM ET
David Hall, an Airman and ROTC cadet who was discharged when his commanding officers confirmed his sexual orientation, is one of eight "citizen co-chairs" for President Barack Obama's Inauguration committee.
Hall joined the Air Force in 1996 where he was promoted to staff sergeant and graduated from Airman Leadership School, according to the White House. He became a student at the University of Alaska, Anchorage, after re-enlisting in the Air Force. At the University, Hall became a top cadet in his Air Force ROTC class. A fellow cadet told their commanders that Hall is gay, which launched an investigation in 2002. Hall was dishonorably discharged, but then joined a lawsuit two years later challenging the policy. Hall now works for OutServe-SLDN.
Each of the eight people on the inauguration citizen committee represent a major accomplishment during the president's first term in office, including those who have benefitted from Pell Grants, the Affordable Care Act, and the General Motors bailout.
Tags: Washington D.C.
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! December 20 2013 4:44 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort December 20 2013 4:34 PM