Kansas Supreme Court Affirms Rights of Non-Biological Parents
BY Neal Broverman
February 23 2013 1:29 PM ET
The Kansas Supreme Court ruled on Friday that same-sex partners who help raise children are entitled to parental rights.
The case involved Marci Frazier and Kelly Goudschaal, a couple who had two children through insemination. Goudschaal was the biological mother, but both women raised the children. When the couple separated in 2008, the couple attempted to co-parent, but Goudschaal eventually cut off contact from Frazier.
A lower court ruled that Frazier had parental rights to the children, granting joint custody to both women. Goudschaal appealed this order, saying her former partner was not a parent to the children. The high court agreed with the earlier ruling and granted Frazier joint custody and declared that both women should be legally recognized as parents. The court also ruled that agreements to share custody and co-parent are enforceable.
"The Kansas Supreme Court recognized that children with same-sex parents have the same need for stability and protection as children in any other family," Cathy Sakimura, Family Law Director for the National Center for Lesbian Rights, which filed a friend of the court brief on the case, said in a statement. "We are grateful to the court for this thoughtful decision protecting the best interests of children in all families."
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 33 min 48 sec ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 39 min 28 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 1 hour 40 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 1 hour 54 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 15 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM