WATCH: Anderson Cooper Presses Baptist Leader on North Korea Statements
BY Trudy Ring
April 05 2013 1:13 PM ET
Whether or not Southern Baptist Convention president Fred Luter believes advances toward LGBT equality are to blame for North Korea’s threats to the U.S. apparently depends on who he’s talking to.
Luter, interviewed by Anderson Cooper on CNN this week, backtracked on a statement he’d made to a conservative Christian radio host that “I don’t think it’s just a coincidence” that Kim Jong Un is threatening to attack the U.S. at the same time the Supreme Court is considering marriage equality cases and the Boy Scouts of America is weighing whether to drop its ban on openly gay members.
Luter claimed he said he didn’t see any connection, but Cooper pressed him on it and played a recording of the radio interview, and Luter finally said he misspoke. “There is no connection,” he told Cooper.
Cooper also called Luter out on appearing to say marriage equality was as bad a thing as mass shootings and his claim that churches will eventually be forced to perform same-sex marriages. Watch below.
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 15 min 40 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 23 min 45 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 26 min 20 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 34 min 28 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 53 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 59 min ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 2 hours 5 min ago