WATCH: Howard Kurtz on His Erroneous Jason Collins Column
BY Trudy Ring
May 05 2013 1:04 PM ET
Commentator Howard Kurtz spent a segment of his Reliable Sources program on CNN this morning apologizing for his erroneous column about Jason Collin’s coming-out.
Kurtz, whose Daily Beast column last week criticized Collins for not revealing that he had been engaged to a woman — when, in fact, Collins had revealed that in his coming-out piece for Sports Illustrated — said he made a “sloppy and inexcusable” mistake.
“My logic about what happened between Jason Collins and his former fiancée and what was and wasn’t disclosed, in hindsight, well, I was wrong to even raise that issue,” Kurtz said. “Also, I didn’t give him a chance to respond to my account before I wrote it and in addition my first correction was not as complete and as full as it should have been. In a video where I discussed the issue, I wrongly jokingly referred to something I shouldn’t have joked about” — saying Collins was playing “both sides of the court.”
Kurtz’s gig at Newsweek and The Daily Beast ended after the column came out, but he said it wasn’t the precipitating event and that his departure had been planned for a long time. He also took questions from two media critics, NPR’s David Folkenflik and Politico’s Dylan Byers, on today’s show.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM