WATCH: John Oliver Eviscerates 'Crazy' Antigay Opponents Around the World
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 14 2013 2:58 PM ET
Settling into his stint guest-hosting The Daily Show, John Oliver offered rapid-fire digs at opponents to LGBT equality on Thursday.
Oliver touched on the Boy Scouts' recent decision to allow gay youth to serve as scouts, lampooning the discriminatory policy by highlighting the hypocritical nature of saying to a young scout at graduation "Congratulations, scout. Gay scouts like you make us all proud," then telling that same scout who wants to volunteer for the organization after turning 18, "You burn in hell, pervert!"
Oliver also revived The Daily Show's long-recurring segment "Gaywatch: International Edition," lambasting marriage equality opponents who took to the streets as France granted all its citizens the freedom to marry last month. Commenting on the sartorial selections of the protestors, Oliver asked, "How is it that France's antigay protests look so much gayer than our pro-gay protests?"
Watch the two-part opening segment, where Oliver discusses the Vatican's "gay lobby" and Russia's recently passed ban on so-called homosexual propaganda, below.
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 43 min 31 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 2 hours 37 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair 12:13 AM