The Supreme Court Will Return at 10 A.M. Tomorrow
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 24 2013 10:57 AM ET
The Supreme Court did not issue rulings in either of two cases dealing with marriage equality today but could do so Tuesday at 10 a.m. Eastern.
In March the Court heard arguments in Hollingsworth v. Perry, the Proposition 8 case, and U.S. v. Windsor, the challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act. Because the cases are contentious and were argued late in the term, many court observers believe LGBT Americans won't get the much-awaited decision day until the last possible opportunity on the court's calendar. Reporters at SCOTUSBlog expect the court to add at least one more decision day this week, since the court still has six decisions to announce before the end of its term this month. SCOTUSBlog expects the court to announce a third decision day this week, likely scheduled for Wednesday or Thursday.
The Supreme Court did issue a ruling in Fisher v. University of Texas, Austin, the case dealing with affirmative action. In a 7-1 decision, the court reversed a decision by the lower court and found that UT Austin and other universities could consider race in their admission policies only if such policies are the only way to ensure diversity on campus, remanding the case to a lower court to reconsider the issue given the new SCOTUS guidance.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 27 min 8 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 4 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 9 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM