Op-ed: A Gay Dad's Response to Coke's Commercial
BY Frank Lowe
February 04 2014 3:22 PM ET
The following letter is in response to the :42 mark
I’m writing you this letter to tell you how deeply offended I am by the portrayal of gay parents in your Super Bowl commercial. From what I’ve heard, you’ve gotten a lot of flack from this already, but I feel it necessary to voice my opinion.
I’m not saying I side with the Barilla pasta-eating, Chick-fil-A-loving bigots, but the five seconds shown of gay parenting was outrageous in many ways:
1) Let’s start with the fact that everyone knows gay people don’t drink Coke, they do coke.
2) Their apparel was appalling. Did your (obviously straight) costume coordinator just raid a vintage shop in a third-world country or was that intentional? Clearly the actors were straight as well, or they would have protested.
3) Don’t think I didn’t notice they are a multi-ethnic family. Killing two birds with one stone, Coca-Cola?
4) Two gay men, having trouble roller-skating — really?! They practically invented the “sport.” Some were born with rollerskates on their feet. Next time, consider them doing triple axels while their daughter watches in complete amazement.
5) The little girl’s styling was so horribly off-mark. She looks like a normal kid — what were you thinking? It’s common knowledge that gay parents would have her dressed either as a full-blown princess (complete with Toddlers & Tiaras makeup) or in Fifth Avenue perfection. There is no middle ground. Her Plain Jane look was probably the most offensive and off-kilter thing about the scene.
If you should want to discuss this further, I am available to help you “gay it up” and make it “more fucking fabulous.” Next year let’s get those football-watching bastards to spit out their cheap beer when they see what I can come up with!
Frank J. Lowe
P.S. To my Advocate readers: I thought the commercial was perfect and amazing and breakthrough. Their portrayal of gay parents as normal was immense, and as a young gay kid I would have spilled my Coke if I had seen this (if I hadn’t been too busy rollerskating).
FRANK LOWE is a stay at home dad. Follow him on Twitter @GayAtHomeDad
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- Hot Sheet: They Are Risen
- Federal Judge Rules Florida's Same-Sex Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Capitol Hill Staffers Blocked for Antitrans Wikipedia Edits
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.