BY Joan Garry
December 30 2008 1:00 AM ET
3) Send a message
that this administration understands that equality for
LGBT Americans is a CIVIL RIGHTS issue. Appoint the first
openly gay member of the U.S. Commission on Civil
Don't look at us
as gay Americans who have issues. Look at us as
Americans who have been denied basic civil rights. This is
how our second-class citizenship SHOULD be viewed, and
it fits perfectly with Barack Obama's vision for a
A quick look at
today's commissioners? A woman, several
African-Americans, an Asian American, a Native American.
Even a white man from the Heritage Foundation (don't
even get me started about the Heritage Foundation).
So, to my fellow
LGBT friends and our straight allies, to those who
raised money and gave money, to those of us who have
dedicated time and energy to the visibility of the
second-class citizenship of gay and lesbian Americans:
Let's use the Rick Warren choice as an opportunity to
be impatient. I for one plan to be impatient constructively
(as demonstrated above).
Join me. My list
is a place to start. And hardly exhaustive. Perhaps you
have some ideas?
- This article
was first featured on The Huffington Post.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Fitness A Workout Especially for HIV-Positive People 24 min 18 sec ago
- Music Austra's Summer Soundtrack 37 min 47 sec ago
- Books James Franco's A California Childhood: Win Signed Copy 44 min 15 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Cher Wigs Out on The Voice 1 hour 14 min ago
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 2 hours 21 min ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM