BY Joan Garry
December 30 2008 12:00 AM ET
3) Send a message
that this administration understands that equality for
LGBT Americans is a CIVIL RIGHTS issue. Appoint the first
openly gay member of the U.S. Commission on Civil
Don't look at us
as gay Americans who have issues. Look at us as
Americans who have been denied basic civil rights. This is
how our second-class citizenship SHOULD be viewed, and
it fits perfectly with Barack Obama's vision for a
A quick look at
today's commissioners? A woman, several
African-Americans, an Asian American, a Native American.
Even a white man from the Heritage Foundation (don't
even get me started about the Heritage Foundation).
So, to my fellow
LGBT friends and our straight allies, to those who
raised money and gave money, to those of us who have
dedicated time and energy to the visibility of the
second-class citizenship of gay and lesbian Americans:
Let's use the Rick Warren choice as an opportunity to
be impatient. I for one plan to be impatient constructively
(as demonstrated above).
Join me. My list
is a place to start. And hardly exhaustive. Perhaps you
have some ideas?
- This article
was first featured on The Huffington Post.
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 42 min 18 sec ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 48 min 40 sec ago
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 1 hour 32 min ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 1 hour 32 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 7, ‘Velvet Rope’ 1 hour 34 min ago
- Religion Meet the Controversial Spiritual Adviser to Trans People 2 hours 55 min ago
- Women 9 Inspiring Women Backing LGBT Rights Around the World 11:17 AM