Same Fight, Different Approach
BY Julie Bolcer
January 13 2009 1:00 AM ET
is not really an amendment,” says attorney Gloria
Allred, who represents two same-sex couples, including
comedian Robin Tyler and her wife, Diane Olson.
“It is such a far-reaching change to the state
constitution, to the fundamental plan, and to the
foundational powers, that they didn’t follow
the correct procedure for doing it. It should be
struck down for that reason alone.”
procedural point, outlined in a reply brief to Brown filed
on January 5, the petitioners contend that amendments
are small changes to the constitution, in comparison
to more radical revisions, which require approval by
the state legislature before they can be presented to the
electorate or a constitutional convention.
profound disagreement with Brown on his conclusion that
Prop. 8 is an amendment.
could be fatal to the case, if the court were to decide that
they had followed the proper procedure,” she
says. “Then Prop. 8 could win.”
The high court is
hearing two other challenges to Prop. 8, one on behalf
of Equality California and six same-sex couples who would
like to marry, and another from the city and county of
San Francisco, joined by other local governments.
While they all disagree with Brown on the revision
question, their reply briefs indicate potential areas of
complement with his own.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Father of Teen Lesbian Facing Felony for Same-Sex Relationship Says Daughter's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 18 min 42 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 1 hour 2 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 1 hour 14 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 1 hour 28 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 1 hour 28 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 1 hour 29 min ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational Couples Stranded 1 hour 41 min ago