Bill Moyers, Gay-Baiter
BY James Kirchick
February 25 2009 1:00 AM ET
Given his own history
of snooping into the private lives of American citizens with
the intent to publicly humiliate them, Moyers's latter-day
sermonizing on the evils of the Bush administration and
conservatives in general rings more than a little hollow. And
the fact that he has been getting rich off the public trough
for decades -- earning millions of dollars in production deals
from his documentaries and television programs aired on Public
Broadcasting -- makes a full explanation of his activities in
government service all the more necessary.
Moyers didn't just seek
dirt on his own colleagues but his political enemies as well.
In 1975, then-deputy attorney general Laurence Silberman was
tasked with the job of reviewing a raft of secret files once
belonging to J. Edgar Hoover. Amid "nasty bits of information
on various political figures," Silberman found a letter
drafted by Moyers requesting an FBI investigation of suspected
gays on Goldwater's campaign staff. When the press reported on
this document, Silberman received an angry phone call from
Moyers, who alleged that the report was a CIA forgery. When
Silberman offered to conduct an investigation so as to
exonerate Moyers, the former presidential aide demurred. "I
was very young," Moyers confessed to Silberman. "How will I
explain this to my children?"
It's a good question.
And one that we're still waiting for Bill Moyers to answer.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 1 hour 21 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 1 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM