Pennsylvania Gays Rock the Dome
BY Daniel Denvir
March 16 2009 11:00 PM ET
Hundreds of LGBT
Pennsylvanians and allies gathered Tuesday at the state capitol
to demand passage of a bill that would bar discrimination based
on sexual orientation or gender identity in employment,
housing, and accommodations.
The Value All Families
Coalition sponsored the rally, held in the Harrisburg capitol
rotunda. Rep. Babette Josephs, chair of the house state
government committee and a longtime gay rights supporter,
delivered an impassioned speech in support of the
"I bet 10% of my
colleagues in the house don't think they have a single gay
constituent," she said. "Over the next few weeks,
we're going to show them just how wrong they are."
Josephs also said that
given the economic crisis, "the last thing anyone needs is
to get fired for being gay."
approved the bill 12-11 in a party-line vote, with all
Republicans opposing the measure. Next, it faces a tough but
winnable fight in the house. While Democrats have a small
majority, many come from socially conservative parts of the
state. The bill's prospects are not good in the
Republican-controlled senate, but Democratic governor Ed
Rendell would likely sign the legislation if passed.
religious leaders, union activists, and politicians, described
the bill as a guarantee of basic human rights for all
Pennsylvanians and an important message of tolerance to
potential residents and investors.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 22 min 25 sec ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 29 min 59 sec ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 1 hour 10 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 7 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 2 hours 22 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 39 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 2 hours 53 min ago