Pennsylvania Gays Rock the Dome
BY Daniel Denvir
March 17 2009 12:00 AM ET
Hundreds of LGBT
Pennsylvanians and allies gathered Tuesday at the state capitol
to demand passage of a bill that would bar discrimination based
on sexual orientation or gender identity in employment,
housing, and accommodations.
The Value All Families
Coalition sponsored the rally, held in the Harrisburg capitol
rotunda. Rep. Babette Josephs, chair of the house state
government committee and a longtime gay rights supporter,
delivered an impassioned speech in support of the
"I bet 10% of my
colleagues in the house don't think they have a single gay
constituent," she said. "Over the next few weeks,
we're going to show them just how wrong they are."
Josephs also said that
given the economic crisis, "the last thing anyone needs is
to get fired for being gay."
approved the bill 12-11 in a party-line vote, with all
Republicans opposing the measure. Next, it faces a tough but
winnable fight in the house. While Democrats have a small
majority, many come from socially conservative parts of the
state. The bill's prospects are not good in the
Republican-controlled senate, but Democratic governor Ed
Rendell would likely sign the legislation if passed.
religious leaders, union activists, and politicians, described
the bill as a guarantee of basic human rights for all
Pennsylvanians and an important message of tolerance to
potential residents and investors.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 30 min 19 sec ago
- Women Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 30 min 30 sec ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 36 min 11 sec ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 50 min 33 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 1 hour 18 min ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 1 hour 39 min ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 1 hour 42 min ago