Pennsylvania Gays Rock the Dome
BY Daniel Denvir
March 16 2009 11:00 PM ET
Hundreds of LGBT
Pennsylvanians and allies gathered Tuesday at the state capitol
to demand passage of a bill that would bar discrimination based
on sexual orientation or gender identity in employment,
housing, and accommodations.
The Value All Families
Coalition sponsored the rally, held in the Harrisburg capitol
rotunda. Rep. Babette Josephs, chair of the house state
government committee and a longtime gay rights supporter,
delivered an impassioned speech in support of the
"I bet 10% of my
colleagues in the house don't think they have a single gay
constituent," she said. "Over the next few weeks,
we're going to show them just how wrong they are."
Josephs also said that
given the economic crisis, "the last thing anyone needs is
to get fired for being gay."
approved the bill 12-11 in a party-line vote, with all
Republicans opposing the measure. Next, it faces a tough but
winnable fight in the house. While Democrats have a small
majority, many come from socially conservative parts of the
state. The bill's prospects are not good in the
Republican-controlled senate, but Democratic governor Ed
Rendell would likely sign the legislation if passed.
religious leaders, union activists, and politicians, described
the bill as a guarantee of basic human rights for all
Pennsylvanians and an important message of tolerance to
potential residents and investors.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- WATCH: Sportscaster Denies Calling Kansas Jayhawks 'Gayhawks'
- Op-ed: Separate or Together?
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Parenting Forum Shows Key Role of Parents in Winning Rights for Gays and Lesbians in China 0 sec ago
- Television Meet the New Queens of RuPaul's Drag Race 1 hour 15 min ago
- Women WATCH: Real-Life Girlfriends Bria & Chrissy on '10 Things Lesbians Do on Saturdays' 1 hour 17 min ago
- Travel Stockholm Pride Sent an FU to Putin 1 hour 28 min ago
- Sports WATCH: Sportscaster Denies Calling Kansas Jayhawks 'Gayhawks' 1 hour 59 min ago
- Music 6 New Christmas Albums To Get You In the Holiday Mood 2 hours 26 min ago
- Film George Takei Documentary to Premiere at Sundance 2 hours 27 min ago