Will AIG Paralyze Progressive Reform?
BY Kerry Eleveld
March 20 2009 12:00 AM ET
impact of the assumption of universal heterosexuality has led
to disproportionate inequality for LGBT people when it comes to
accessing health care," says Kenneth Sherrill, a political
science professor at Hunter College who specializes in LGBT
issues. Sherrill also notes that many insurers
deem HIV/AIDS a preexisting condition by which they
may exclude clients from coverage. "So in
that sense, meaningful health care reform is our issue too,"
But Sherrill also
floats an alternative theory -- the AIG scandal could so badly
damage the reputation of insurance companies that it undermines
their ability to curb health reform. The insurance industry was
one of many powerful interest groups that helped block the
Clintons' attempt to revamp the country's health care
"Perhaps the net
effect of this could be to embolden our leadership at a time
when our enemies are weakened," Sherrill poses.
No one is sure just how
messy the AIG cleanup will get and whether it could, indeed,
debilitate the president's agenda.
"We have yet to see
whether AIG is something that can be contained," Sherrill
says, adding that people have called for Geithner's removal
before. And even if Geithner made an exit, Sherrill says, "My
sense is that no one is indispensable. If he gets replaced, the
government still goes on."
But White House
veterans sense the danger from administrations past.
Lux, who recently
authored a book called
The Progressive Revolution: How the Best in America Came to
, notes that President Lyndon B. Johnson pushed an enormous
amount of legislation through in the first few years of his
administration only to have his presidency get bogged down in
Vietnam. But Johnson's not the only president whose
priorities crumbled under the weight of greater forces.
"I think you could
argue in Clinton's term that the mishandling of gays in the
military slowed them down and took away momentum on other
things they were trying to do," Lux says. "That hurt their
ability to get off to a good start on health care and
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 19 min 19 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 1 hour 3 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 1 hour 21 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 1 hour 34 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 1 hour 55 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 2 hours 14 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 2 hours 21 min ago