Don't Ask, Don't Tell... Don't Blow It
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 04 2009 12:00 AM ET
Unlike his predecessor, Barack Obama does not see himself as "the Decider." He is at heart a community organizer. And in these first 100 days, Americans have seen the tenets of community organizing in action. The president has reminded us time and again that we are all in this together, that each of us has a voice and a responsibility. He is also demonstrating that decision-making is a process.
In 1993, we saw what happens when the process is wrong. Nobody wins. Bill Clinton signed "don't ask, don't tell" into law that year, and since then over 13,000 gay and lesbian members of our armed services have lost. Lost their jobs, their careers, their dignity.
And so here we are, 16 years later. The gay community has a friend in the White House again and it looks like we are going to get another turn at bat.
We absolutely must win this time.
Now I am not a patient person when it comes to equality. I spent nearly a decade running a gay rights organization. I spent much of last year raising money for the Obama campaign because I am impatient. I needed to do what I could to ensure the election of someone I know stands with us.
Aubrey Sarvis, the executive director of Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, is impatient too. He illustrated his impatience last week with a full-page open letter to the president in a Capitol Hill publication, calling on him to incorporate the repeal of DADT into the Defense budget he brings to the Pentagon next week.
In his letter, he indicates that this is the "logical" opportunity to be done with it.
Logical? Not from where this fellow impatient activist sits.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News New Fire Island Pavilion Channels Old Attitude New Fire Island Pavilion Channels Old Attitude New Fire Island Pavilion Channels Old Attitude New Fire Island Pavilion Channels Old Attitude New Fire Island Pavilion Channels Old Attitude 2 min 9 sec ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 5 min 21 sec ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 19 min 45 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Flash Mob Gay Marriage Proposal in Central Park 31 min 14 sec ago
- Women Cannes is Abuzz About Blue is the Warmest Color's Explicit Lesbian Sex Scenes 53 min 7 sec ago
- Sports Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia 1 hour 20 min ago
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 2 hours 16 min ago