View From the Hill
BY Kerry Eleveld
May 08 2009 12:00 AM ET
It's also a fight that the president has been notably silent on and, in fact, the momentum seems to have slowed since he took office. While a repeal bill has been introduced in the House, no bill has emerged in the Senate even after Sen. Edward Kennedy was reportedly preparing to introduce one several months ago.
Admiral Mike Mullen went from acknowledging last December, "The president-elect's been pretty clear that he wants to address this issue," to saying in April, "I haven't gotten any direction to specifically go to study it and come back with a recommendation."
A New York Times article about mounting pressure on LGBT issues noted that Human Rights Campaign president Joe Solmonese along with other LGBT group leaders met with White House officials this week to strategize on hate crimes and "don't ask, don't tell."
"They have a vision," Solmonese told the Times . "They have a plan."
In a follow-up phone call with me, Solmonese declined to discuss the details of the meeting but, regarding the military's gay ban, he noted that "a lot more work" needed to be done beyond simply introducing a bill.
"The administration is probably working through a lot of different options right now, and we're interested to see what is the most expeditious and sustainable one," he said, "What will be the strategy and the vehicle and the timeline to getting it done?"
Solmonese also suggested that timeline might be less than immediate.
"They could be working on a 'don't ask, don't tell' strategy that would take 18 months," he said. "I trust that this is something that's being worked on and they're looking at something more comprehensive and long-term than just putting out a statement [of support]."
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- Seat Filler: What's Gay Off-Broadway
- S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 6 min 45 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 10 min 40 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 10 min 41 sec ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 10 min 51 sec ago
- Politics Kenyan Lesbian Granted Asylum in U.S. 11 min 8 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Methodist Church Drops Charges Against Minister 31 min 46 sec ago
- Media WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer' 1 hour 1 min ago