View From the Hill: Obama's Silence
BY Kerry Eleveld
May 29 2009 12:00 AM ET
Equally eye-opening is the unbridled pressure that Latino politicians and lobby groups are bringing to bear on Washington. The Hispanic Caucus, for instance, sent a letter to the president urging him to nominate the nation's first Hispanic Supreme Court justice -- a box that Obama checked off this week with his choice of Judge Sonia Sotomayor.
Hispanic activists have also been highly vocal about pushing for comprehensive immigration reform.
"There's going to be growing frustration if we don't see some tangible and real signals that this is going to be carried out in earnest this fall," Janet Murguia told Politico.com, suggesting that Obama needed to make it clear this summer that he wanted congressional action on the legislation. Murguia is president of the National Council of La Raza, the nation's largest Hispanic civil rights group.
Let me be crystal clear here -- Hispanic advocates are lobbying privately and publicly, being invited to the White House for lunches and conferences, and still telling the press, mainstream and otherwise, that they expect results.
Next month the administration will apparently be presenting a package of pro-LGBT announcements. I'm not sure all of what will be included in that package, but I'm waiting to see if it will be enough. Will anything that doesn't address "don't ask, don't tell" and full marital rights satisfy the masses, who have shown increasing unrest lately?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM