View From the Hill: Obama's Silence
BY Kerry Eleveld
May 28 2009 11:00 PM ET
Equally eye-opening is the unbridled pressure that Latino politicians and lobby groups are bringing to bear on Washington. The Hispanic Caucus, for instance, sent a letter to the president urging him to nominate the nation's first Hispanic Supreme Court justice -- a box that Obama checked off this week with his choice of Judge Sonia Sotomayor.
Hispanic activists have also been highly vocal about pushing for comprehensive immigration reform.
"There's going to be growing frustration if we don't see some tangible and real signals that this is going to be carried out in earnest this fall," Janet Murguia told Politico.com, suggesting that Obama needed to make it clear this summer that he wanted congressional action on the legislation. Murguia is president of the National Council of La Raza, the nation's largest Hispanic civil rights group.
Let me be crystal clear here -- Hispanic advocates are lobbying privately and publicly, being invited to the White House for lunches and conferences, and still telling the press, mainstream and otherwise, that they expect results.
Next month the administration will apparently be presenting a package of pro-LGBT announcements. I'm not sure all of what will be included in that package, but I'm waiting to see if it will be enough. Will anything that doesn't address "don't ask, don't tell" and full marital rights satisfy the masses, who have shown increasing unrest lately?
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 26 min 3 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 1 hour 19 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 1 hour 36 min ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 1 hour 45 min ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2 hours 10 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2 hours 13 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 2 hours 46 min ago