View From the Hill - A Presidential Invitation
BY Kerry Eleveld
June 27 2009 12:00 AM ET
Here I agree with the gentlelady from Wisconsin - one bite at the apple of justice on ENDA could go a long way by virtue of the fact that Congress would quite literally employ equality for LGBT people as a guiding principle going forward.
As divided as community activists have seemed of late, I'm quite certain our community would uniformly embrace that moment.
But let's be clear, it takes all of us to get there - the rabble-rousers outside the DNC fundraiser as well as the folks who attended. While many activists have berated those who went to the dinner, I have a grand appreciation for both. Choosing to skip the dinner was downright gutsy. It was fresh, unexpected and a complete aberration -- especially for those who have the means to frequent these events -- to forego the option.
It was their boycott that amplified the message of activists inside. As protesters chanted outside, Mitchell Gold (of furniture fame) was placing "Crisis," a book of 40 LGBT biographies he edited, directly into the hands of Gov. Tim Kaine and Vice President Joe Biden.
"Wait a minute," Biden said to Gold, "my wife has this book and she's reading it." Gold apparently had given Dr. Jill Biden the same book at the GLSEN event she headlined earlier this month.
Gold, who struggled mightily to come to terms with his own sexuality during adolescence, hopes reading the stories of what today's LGBT leaders went through in their youth will help reframe this debate for politicians.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 2 hours 3 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 2 hours 59 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 4:00 AM
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM