View to Washington: Inclusive Republicans Eye Congress
BY Kerry Eleveld
July 25 2009 12:00 AM ET
Within that list, Malek also named Delaware's Rep. Mike Castle, who gained notoriety this week when he tried to stand down a so-called birther who hijacked his town hall meeting -- claiming Barack Obama was born in Kenya and crying, "I want my country back!" Castle upset the wing nuts by having the nerve to proclaim that President Obama is a U.S. citizen, but I digress.
Like Kirk, Castle is a social moderate who also voted yes on hate crimes and ENDA, and no on the FMA twice.
I could name other moderate Republicans who are eyeing congressional seats -- in Connecticut or New Hampshire, for instance -- but the point is that the GOP is starting to see a resurgence of the moderate in traditionally blue and even purple states. And in most cases, moderate has started to mean LGBT-inclusive.
As one Republican pointed out to me, the Democrats have infiltrated the South by running antigay, pro-gun moderates for the last several election cycles. Republicans are now coming around to the notion that if you run Scozzafava in the northeast, you win -- or at least you have a chance.
And her race, in particular, has already turned the tables on traditional pro-LGBT party dynamics. Shortly after Scozzafava got the nod, Democratic state senator Darrel Aubertine announced that he had decided not to run for the seat. Presumably Aubertine, an anti-marriage equality Democrat, concluded that challenging a pro-marriage equality Republican might not be a smart career move.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 19 min 53 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 51 min 24 sec ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 57 min 4 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 1 hour 57 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 2 hours 12 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 32 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM