View to Washington: Inclusive Republicans Eye Congress
BY Kerry Eleveld
July 25 2009 12:00 AM ET
Within that list, Malek also named Delaware's Rep. Mike Castle, who gained notoriety this week when he tried to stand down a so-called birther who hijacked his town hall meeting -- claiming Barack Obama was born in Kenya and crying, "I want my country back!" Castle upset the wing nuts by having the nerve to proclaim that President Obama is a U.S. citizen, but I digress.
Like Kirk, Castle is a social moderate who also voted yes on hate crimes and ENDA, and no on the FMA twice.
I could name other moderate Republicans who are eyeing congressional seats -- in Connecticut or New Hampshire, for instance -- but the point is that the GOP is starting to see a resurgence of the moderate in traditionally blue and even purple states. And in most cases, moderate has started to mean LGBT-inclusive.
As one Republican pointed out to me, the Democrats have infiltrated the South by running antigay, pro-gun moderates for the last several election cycles. Republicans are now coming around to the notion that if you run Scozzafava in the northeast, you win -- or at least you have a chance.
And her race, in particular, has already turned the tables on traditional pro-LGBT party dynamics. Shortly after Scozzafava got the nod, Democratic state senator Darrel Aubertine announced that he had decided not to run for the seat. Presumably Aubertine, an anti-marriage equality Democrat, concluded that challenging a pro-marriage equality Republican might not be a smart career move.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 11 min 43 sec ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 1 hour 6 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 1 hour 23 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 1 hour 46 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 2 hours 36 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM