Malawi's President Wants to Decriminalize Being Gay
BY Lucas Grindley
May 18 2012 12:26 PM ET
Malawi's new president wants to decriminalize being gay in her country, she announced in a national address.
The Associated Press reports that President Joyce Banda, who took over after her predecessor died in office, user her first nationwide address to make her declaration.
"Indecency and unnatural acts laws shall be repealed," she told Parliament, saying the country's "bad laws" her made their trading partners "uncomfortable."
The U.S. State Department was one of many that issued a statement in 2010 condemning the conviction of a gay couple there — Tiwonge Chimbalanga and Steven Monjeza — who were sent to prison for 14 years after getting engaged. Malawi's president later pardoned the couple as international outrage grew.
It's still illegal to be gay in most African countries. And some Western leaders have increased tension by calling for tying foreign aid money to human rights requirements. For example, Zimbabwe’s president, Robert Mugabe, blasted U.K. prime minister David Cameron’s warning in October that his country might cut off some aid if places like Zimbabwe fail to protect gay rights.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Latest News
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM