Gay Student May Wear T-shirt to School
May 22 2012 9:43 AM ET
According to the Associated Press, “A judgment agreed to by Maverick Couch and the Waynesville Local School District was entered Monday in federal court in Cincinnati. It allows the teenager to wear the ‘Jesus Is Not A Homophobe’ T-shirt and says the district must pay $20,000 in damages and court costs.”
In April, Lambda Legal filed a lawsuit on behalf of Couch, 16, charging that the Cincinnati-area school district had violated his First Amendment rights. The school principal twice prevented him from displaying the t-shirt and threatened disciplinary action if Couch wore it again.
The Dayton Daily News reported that school officials expressed relief at the conclusion of the lawsuit.
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 16 min 56 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM