City's Pride Proclamation Ends With Police Called
BY Lucas Grindley
June 07 2012 5:35 PM ET
When one man stood during a city council meeting and proudly laughed at the idea of a gay kid committing suicide, it brought activists back for the next meeting. And this time their voices outweighed his.
KGO-TV in San Francisco reports that Richmond resident Mark Wassberg reacted to a proclamation during the first meeting that June would be LGBT Pride month by getting up and laughing about suicide.
LGBT students from the RYSE center had given a presentation about the month, and they told KGO-TV they were left angered by what they got in return. So the activists returned for the next meeting with more backup. Wassberg was there and again spoke out.
Watch the reports below to see what happened next.
About the First Meeting:
About the Second Meeting:
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: What I Learned From My High School's Gay English Teacher
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet