Police, Helicopter, Water Cannon Called in to Defend Pride March
BY Lucas Grindley
June 09 2012 11:28 AM ET
The second week of Pride month includes events all over the world. But A gay pride parade in Croatia that has police on high alert Saturday is a reminder of what's at stake.
The Associated Press reports that hundreds of people, including some government officials, are marching through the town of Split with banners reading "Gay is OK" and "We are all equal." But that's brought out riot police, a helicopter and a water cannon on standby.
Last year the event was sieged by opposition who threw bottle and rocks. See what the event looks like this year in photos on the following pages.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Will Florida Arrest Clerks for Marrying Gay Couples?
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?