HRC's New Griffin Era Begins
BY Neal Broverman
June 11 2012 12:57 PM ET
It's Chad Griffin's first official day as president of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest LGBT rights lobbying organization.
The San Francisco Chronicle looks at expectations attached to Griffin's tenure. The 38-year-old, who founded the American Foundation for Equal Rights, which successfully launched a federal lawsuit against California's ban on same-sex marriage, is well-liked in LGBT political circles. He has a friend in Cleve Jones, the longtime activist who developed the AIDS Memorial Quilt and worked alongside Harvey Milk. Jones calls Griffin "one of the smartest people I have ever met in my whole life."
Griffin was with Jones — and former Milk campaign adviser and current San Francisco official Anne Kronenberg — this weekend, visiting the HRC office and store in the Castro.
The new HRC president will have to address perceptions that the organization acquiesces to the Democratic Party too quickly and that it's tone-deaf to concerns other than those of wealthy white gays. The perception, though, is that the Hope, Ark.-born Griffin is up to the task. Even antigay activists seem to like him.
"He is very qualified for the job and is very professional," Frank Schubert, the national political director for the National Organization for Marriage, told the Chronicle.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 1 hour 14 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 2 hours 9 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 2 hours 41 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 2 hours 50 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM