HRC's New Griffin Era Begins
BY Neal Broverman
June 11 2012 1:57 PM ET
It's Chad Griffin's first official day as president of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest LGBT rights lobbying organization.
The San Francisco Chronicle looks at expectations attached to Griffin's tenure. The 38-year-old, who founded the American Foundation for Equal Rights, which successfully launched a federal lawsuit against California's ban on same-sex marriage, is well-liked in LGBT political circles. He has a friend in Cleve Jones, the longtime activist who developed the AIDS Memorial Quilt and worked alongside Harvey Milk. Jones calls Griffin "one of the smartest people I have ever met in my whole life."
Griffin was with Jones — and former Milk campaign adviser and current San Francisco official Anne Kronenberg — this weekend, visiting the HRC office and store in the Castro.
The new HRC president will have to address perceptions that the organization acquiesces to the Democratic Party too quickly and that it's tone-deaf to concerns other than those of wealthy white gays. The perception, though, is that the Hope, Ark.-born Griffin is up to the task. Even antigay activists seem to like him.
"He is very qualified for the job and is very professional," Frank Schubert, the national political director for the National Organization for Marriage, told the Chronicle.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM