UPDATED: Barney Frank Marries Longtime Partner
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 07 2012 10:14 PM ET
Democratic Representative Barney Frank tied the knot with his longtime partner, James Ready, on Saturday, reports The New York Times.
The union makes Frank, who recently announced plans to retire after more than three decades in office, the first sitting congressman to enter into a same-sex marriage. The ceremony, which took place at the Boston Marriott hotel, was officiated by Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick and was attended by approximately 300 friends and colleagues.
NBC reports Democratic congressman Al Green saying that Patrick added levity to the ceremony when he mentioned Frank and Ready has vowed to love each other through Democratic and Republican administrations alike and that Frank was beaming.
"It was no different than any other wedding I've attended when you have two people who are in love with each other," Green says.
Watch MSNBC coverage of the wedding below and see more pictures of the wedding on the following pages.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- Op-ed: Why I Quit My Job at the United Nations
- Robbie Rogers's Memoir Kicks Around Depression, Redemption, And Coming Out
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role