UPDATED: Barney Frank Marries Longtime Partner
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 07 2012 11:14 PM ET
Democratic Representative Barney Frank tied the knot with his longtime partner, James Ready, on Saturday, reports The New York Times.
The union makes Frank, who recently announced plans to retire after more than three decades in office, the first sitting congressman to enter into a same-sex marriage. The ceremony, which took place at the Boston Marriott hotel, was officiated by Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick and was attended by approximately 300 friends and colleagues.
NBC reports Democratic congressman Al Green saying that Patrick added levity to the ceremony when he mentioned Frank and Ready has vowed to love each other through Democratic and Republican administrations alike and that Frank was beaming.
"It was no different than any other wedding I've attended when you have two people who are in love with each other," Green says.
Watch MSNBC coverage of the wedding below and see more pictures of the wedding on the following pages.
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Folk Singer Janis Ian: Bill Cosby Blackballed Me From TV as a Teen
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Katelynn on Caitlyn: I Am Cait Through the Eyes of TV's First Trans Reality Star