UPDATED: Barney Frank Marries Longtime Partner
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 07 2012 11:14 PM ET
Democratic Representative Barney Frank tied the knot with his longtime partner, James Ready, on Saturday, reports The New York Times.
The union makes Frank, who recently announced plans to retire after more than three decades in office, the first sitting congressman to enter into a same-sex marriage. The ceremony, which took place at the Boston Marriott hotel, was officiated by Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick and was attended by approximately 300 friends and colleagues.
NBC reports Democratic congressman Al Green saying that Patrick added levity to the ceremony when he mentioned Frank and Ready has vowed to love each other through Democratic and Republican administrations alike and that Frank was beaming.
"It was no different than any other wedding I've attended when you have two people who are in love with each other," Green says.
Watch MSNBC coverage of the wedding below and see more pictures of the wedding on the following pages.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM