UPDATED: Barney Frank Marries Longtime Partner
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 07 2012 10:14 PM ET
Democratic Representative Barney Frank tied the knot with his longtime partner, James Ready, on Saturday, reports The New York Times.
The union makes Frank, who recently announced plans to retire after more than three decades in office, the first sitting congressman to enter into a same-sex marriage. The ceremony, which took place at the Boston Marriott hotel, was officiated by Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick and was attended by approximately 300 friends and colleagues.
NBC reports Democratic congressman Al Green saying that Patrick added levity to the ceremony when he mentioned Frank and Ready has vowed to love each other through Democratic and Republican administrations alike and that Frank was beaming.
"It was no different than any other wedding I've attended when you have two people who are in love with each other," Green says.
Watch MSNBC coverage of the wedding below and see more pictures of the wedding on the following pages.
- Parenting Forum Shows Key Role of Parents in Winning Rights for Gays and Lesbians in China 0 sec ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 10 min 50 sec ago
- Television Meet the New Queens of RuPaul's Drag Race 1 hour 44 min ago
- Women WATCH: Real-Life Girlfriends Bria & Chrissy on '10 Things Lesbians Do on Saturdays' 1 hour 47 min ago
- Travel Stockholm Pride Sent an FU to Putin 1 hour 58 min ago
- Sports WATCH: Sportscaster Denies Calling Kansas Jayhawks 'Gayhawks' 2 hours 28 min ago
- Music 6 New Christmas Albums To Get You In the Holiday Mood 2 hours 55 min ago