UPDATED: Barney Frank Marries Longtime Partner
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 07 2012 11:14 PM ET
Democratic Representative Barney Frank tied the knot with his longtime partner, James Ready, on Saturday, reports The New York Times.
The union makes Frank, who recently announced plans to retire after more than three decades in office, the first sitting congressman to enter into a same-sex marriage. The ceremony, which took place at the Boston Marriott hotel, was officiated by Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick and was attended by approximately 300 friends and colleagues.
NBC reports Democratic congressman Al Green saying that Patrick added levity to the ceremony when he mentioned Frank and Ready has vowed to love each other through Democratic and Republican administrations alike and that Frank was beaming.
"It was no different than any other wedding I've attended when you have two people who are in love with each other," Green says.
Watch MSNBC coverage of the wedding below and see more pictures of the wedding on the following pages.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds 1 hour 26 min ago
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia 2 hours 55 min ago
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM