WATCH: Rick Santorum's RNC Speech
BY Neal Broverman
August 28 2012 11:27 PM ET
Former Pennsylvania senator and failed presidential candidate Rick Santorum delivered a conservative call to action on the first day of the Republican National Convention in Tampa.
Castigating immigrants and parents who have children before marriage, Santorum worked to whip the GOP delegates into a frenzy. Santorum didn't directly attack LGBT people, instead making a veiled reference to marriage equality.
"Marriage is disappearing in places where government dependency is the highest," Santorum said. "But if America is going to succeed, we must stop the assault on marriage and the family in America today."
Though he didn't directly go after gay people for once, Santorum didn't miss a chance to attack abortion rights, using his handicapped child as fodder for his point. Watch the video below.
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! December 20 2013 4:44 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort December 20 2013 4:34 PM