Applications Now Accepted for LGBT Dreamers Scholarship
BY Nazly Siadate
September 21 2012 2:04 PM ET
A $75,000 scholarship fund created by LGBT people for LGBT undocument immigrants officially started accepting applications today. The LGBT Dreamers Fund helps undocumented immigrants who are applying for work permits made possible through President Obama’s new program from "dreamers" — which is what these young people call themselves.
The White House's “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals” program, effective August 15, gives qualifying immigrants under the age of 31 the chance for a two-year work permit and relief from deportation. Application fees are now set at $465 per person, according to Liberty Hill.
Under current law, undocumented workers have difficulties obtaining jobs, which makes paying these fees largely out of the question for most, and that set the Dreamers Fund in motion.
The LGBT Dreamers Fund has been made possible by donations from LGBT organizations and individuals across the country. Their contributions raised $75,000 so far with a goal of $100,000 in mind to be able to assist at least 200 young gay people, according to LGBT Weekly.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM