WATCH: Jon Stewart Slams Conservative Criticism of Inaugural Stonewall Mention
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 23 2013 1:12 PM ET
It's no secret that President Obama's inaugural address on Monday was historic for a number of reasons — including his explicit mention of gay and lesbian Americans and his name-check of the 1969 Stonewall Riots, largely recognized as the birthplace of the modern-day LGBT equality movement.
Of course, it was only a matter of time until conservative pundits cried foul on Obama's inclusive speech. Whether it was Bryan Fischer's vile hate speech or Pat Buchanan's assertion that Stonewall was "nothing more than a barroom brawl" that was undeserving of an inaugural mention, The Daily Show's Jon Stewart cut the haters down to size.
Buchanan, Stewart quipped, is reporting "from the wrong side of history."
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Dallas Councilwoman Objects to "Homosexual Conduct" in HIV Testing Billboard
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- TV Mastermind Jane Espenson: From to to Evil Queens
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 6 min 6 sec ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 33 min 52 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 39 min 58 sec ago
- Entertainment News EXCLUSIVE: Madonna's MDNA Concert Clip 1 hour 22 min ago
- Politics Dallas Councilwoman Objects to Gay HIV Billboard 2 hours 18 min ago
- Marriage Equality Arizona: Org. Files for Marriage Equality Ballot Initiative 2 hours 28 min ago
- Business Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market 2 hours 29 min ago