WATCH: Jon Stewart Slams Conservative Criticism of Inaugural Stonewall Mention
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 23 2013 12:12 PM ET
It's no secret that President Obama's inaugural address on Monday was historic for a number of reasons — including his explicit mention of gay and lesbian Americans and his name-check of the 1969 Stonewall Riots, largely recognized as the birthplace of the modern-day LGBT equality movement.
Of course, it was only a matter of time until conservative pundits cried foul on Obama's inclusive speech. Whether it was Bryan Fischer's vile hate speech or Pat Buchanan's assertion that Stonewall was "nothing more than a barroom brawl" that was undeserving of an inaugural mention, The Daily Show's Jon Stewart cut the haters down to size.
Buchanan, Stewart quipped, is reporting "from the wrong side of history."
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 24 min 21 sec ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 33 min 20 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 49 min 52 sec ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 50 min 1 sec ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 1 hour 31 min ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 4:28 PM
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 3:34 PM