WATCH: John Kerry Notes Gay Rights Progress in Senate
BY Trudy Ring
February 01 2013 11:06 PM ET
John Kerry, newly confirmed to succeed Hillary Clinton as secretary of State, noted progress on LGBT rights in his emotional farewell address to the U.S. Senate this week.
Kerry recalled the 1996 passage of the Defense of Marriage Act, prohibiting federal recognition of same-sex marriages, saying, “We’ve gone from a Senate that passed DOMA over my objections to one that just welcomed its first openly gay senator.” That senator is Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin.
Kerry, a U.S. senator from Massachusetts since 1985, was one of only 14 senators, all Democrats, who voted against DOMA, backed and signed by Democratic president Bill Clinton. With Kerry’s departure from the Senate, only three of them remain, notes BuzzFeed: Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, both of California, and Ron Wyden of Oregon. Another current senator, Ohio’s Sherrod Brown, voted against the bill as a member of the House of Representatives. The U.S. Supreme Court will hear a case challenging DOMA March 27.
Watch Kerry’s farewell speech below.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Rising Above the Down Low
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 2 hours 10 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM