Sean Eldridge, Chris Hughes's Husband, Will Run for Congress
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 06 2013 2:34 PM ET
Sean Eldridge, the gay 26-year-old investor and Democratic activist married to Facebook cofounder and publisher of The New Republic Chris Hughes, this month filed papers to run for Congress, reports Gawker.
Eldridge will seek a House seat in New York's Hudson Valley, and if he wins the primary, will face Republican incumbent Chris Gibson. Gibson, a two-term congressman, decorated war veteran, and former West Point professor, won reelection in New York's 19th District last year by a margin of 53% to 47%, according to Gawker. Despite that majority, New York Democrats are encouraged by the fact that a majority of New York's 19th District also voted for Obama in 2012, and they see Gibson's district as a possible step in the efforts to reclaim a Democratic majority in the House in 2014, reports CNN.
Read more here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 2 hours 43 min ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM