Sean Eldridge, Chris Hughes's Husband, Will Run for Congress
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 06 2013 2:34 PM ET
Sean Eldridge, the gay 26-year-old investor and Democratic activist married to Facebook cofounder and publisher of The New Republic Chris Hughes, this month filed papers to run for Congress, reports Gawker.
Eldridge will seek a House seat in New York's Hudson Valley, and if he wins the primary, will face Republican incumbent Chris Gibson. Gibson, a two-term congressman, decorated war veteran, and former West Point professor, won reelection in New York's 19th District last year by a margin of 53% to 47%, according to Gawker. Despite that majority, New York Democrats are encouraged by the fact that a majority of New York's 19th District also voted for Obama in 2012, and they see Gibson's district as a possible step in the efforts to reclaim a Democratic majority in the House in 2014, reports CNN.
Read more here.
- Panic! at the Disco Counters Westboro Baptist Church Picket With Donation
- Armond White: The Long Day Closes Is The Greatest Gay Film Ever Made
- Hot Sheet: Demi-Vicious Pride
- Shocking Increase in HIV Diagnosis Rate Among Young Gay, Bi Men
- Op-ed: Why The Gay Panic Defense Must Go
- PHOTOS: Charlie's Gay Angel