WATCH: Antidiscrimination Action Likely, by ENDA or Executive Order
BY Trudy Ring
February 12 2013 2:34 PM ET
It looks like there will be progress toward a federal ban on anti-LGBT discrimination this year, in one way or another.
At a Center for American Progress event in Washington, D.C., today, U.S. senator Tom Harkin of Iowa pledged to move the Employment Non-Discrimination Act through the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee, which he chairs.
“I’ve been on ENDA for years — the Employment Non-Discrimination Act — and as chairman of the HELP Committee, I intend to move it this year,” Harkin said. “We’re going to move ENDA this year, so I just want you to know that, OK?” An aide to Harkin later clarified that he meant the committee, not the full Senate, as he has no control over whether or when the full body will vote, the Washington Blade reports.
Meanwhile, if Congress does not pass ENDA, President Obama may issue an executive order prohibiting companies that do business with the federal government from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity, according to The Washington Post.
“Obama decided against issuing such an order during the presidential campaign last year, disappointing many gay-rights activists,” the Post reports. But now sources say he “may reverse that decision and issue the order if Congress does not pass broader legislation offering protection for gays in the workplace,” the paper notes.
Meanwhile, LGBT activists are eager to see if the president mentions ENDA and other gay concerns in tonight’s State of the Union address. Read our editor in chief’s thoughts about the address here, and watch video of Harkin’s Center for American Progress talk below.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 29 min 44 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 1 hour 14 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 1 hour 30 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM