WATCH: Jacob Rudolph Testifies Against Reparative Therapy
BY Jase Peeples
March 20 2013 1:20 PM ET
Parsippany High School senior Jacob Rudolph has been busy since the video of his coming-out speech to 300 of his classmates went viral in January.
Parsippany's Daily Record reports the LGBT teen has not only created a Change.org petition urging New Jersey governor Chris Christie to support legislation prohibiting gay conversion therapy on minors — which has received over 110,000 signatures — but he also spoke Monday before the New Jersey Senate Health, Human Services and Senior Citizens Committee in support of a bill that would bar therapists from attempting to make gay minors heterosexual.
“Like every other LGBT person, I am not broken, I am not confused, and I do not need to be fixed,” Rudolph said in testimony before the committee. “It is beyond baffling to me that anyone might actually believe that sexual orientation is a lifestyle choice that can be altered if desired. Even more disturbing, however, is that there are organizations whose sole mission is to ‘cure’ LGBT individuals of their orientation to truculent practices that have been deemed harmful and ineffective by the American Psychological Association.”
Watch Rudolph’s full testimony below.
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM