On Gay Marriage, What Would Reagan Do?
BY Lucas Grindley
April 04 2013 3:53 PM ET
Republicans often invoke the memory of Ronald Reagan when deciding the best course for their party's future. So Reagan's daughter's provocative suggestion today that the former president would have supported marriage equality is noteworthy.
Patti Davis told The New York Times that her father liked to keep government out of private lives, and that while she was growing up her family had gay friends. One couple even babysat for her and her brother.
"I grew up in this era where your parents’ friends were all called aunt and uncle," Davis told the Times. "And then I had an aunt and an aunt. We saw them on holidays and other times.” Davis said that, “We never talked about it, but I just understood that they were a couple."
While watching Rock Hudson on TV together, Reagan explained to his daughter that “some men are born wanting to love another man," according to Davis.
But if President Reagan would now support marriage equality, he's often reviled among the LGBT community for ignoring the AIDS epidemic as it spread during the 1980s. The Advocate on more than one occasion included him among its annual list of most homophobic figures.
Davis just released a new e-book about a woman who, after the death of her son, falls in love with her sister-in-law.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 23 min 37 sec ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 26 min 12 sec ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 29 min 25 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 31 min 48 sec ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 1 hour 27 min ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 1 hour 30 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 1 hour 42 min ago