WATCH: RNC Member Calls GOP 'Party of Tolerance,' Gay Republican Keeps A Straight Face
BY Sunnivie Brydum
April 14 2013 7:30 AM ET
The same day the Republican National Committee codified its opposition to marriage equality in a unanimous resolution, committee member Robin Armstrong referred to the GOP as "the party of tolerance" on MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews Friday.
Somehow, the director of the gay Log Cabin Republicans managed to keep a straight face, so to speak, while simultaneously pointing out that if Republicans continue to cling to defining marriage as "the union of one man and one woman," they can kiss future electoral victories goodbye.
"The party is evolving, regardless of what the platform says," said LCR executive director Gregory Angelo. Therefore, Angelo argued, continued opposition to marriage equality will have disastrous consequences for the electoral prospects of the Republican party, as poll after poll demonstrates that a majority of Americans now support marriage equality.
"That is a fantastic way of giving Democrats fodder to attack Republicans," said Angelo. "It’s a great way to make the 2014 election all about this. It’s a great way to make the 2016 election all about this.”
Watch the segment below.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go'
- Op-ed: It's Time To End 'Swiss Cheese' Equality
- Retirement Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia 1 hour 3 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1 hour 51 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM