WATCH: RNC Member Calls GOP 'Party of Tolerance,' Gay Republican Keeps A Straight Face
BY Sunnivie Brydum
April 14 2013 7:30 AM ET
The same day the Republican National Committee codified its opposition to marriage equality in a unanimous resolution, committee member Robin Armstrong referred to the GOP as "the party of tolerance" on MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews Friday.
Somehow, the director of the gay Log Cabin Republicans managed to keep a straight face, so to speak, while simultaneously pointing out that if Republicans continue to cling to defining marriage as "the union of one man and one woman," they can kiss future electoral victories goodbye.
"The party is evolving, regardless of what the platform says," said LCR executive director Gregory Angelo. Therefore, Angelo argued, continued opposition to marriage equality will have disastrous consequences for the electoral prospects of the Republican party, as poll after poll demonstrates that a majority of Americans now support marriage equality.
"That is a fantastic way of giving Democrats fodder to attack Republicans," said Angelo. "It’s a great way to make the 2014 election all about this. It’s a great way to make the 2016 election all about this.”
Watch the segment below.
- BREAKING: This Year's Michigan Womyn's Music Festival Will Be the Last
- One of the Original X-Men Comes Out as Gay (Spoilers)
- EXCLUSIVE: Josh Groban Sings "Over The Rainbow"
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- WATCH: What It's Like to Raise a Transgender Child
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'