WATCH: RNC Member Calls GOP 'Party of Tolerance,' Gay Republican Keeps A Straight Face
BY Sunnivie Brydum
April 14 2013 6:30 AM ET
The same day the Republican National Committee codified its opposition to marriage equality in a unanimous resolution, committee member Robin Armstrong referred to the GOP as "the party of tolerance" on MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews Friday.
Somehow, the director of the gay Log Cabin Republicans managed to keep a straight face, so to speak, while simultaneously pointing out that if Republicans continue to cling to defining marriage as "the union of one man and one woman," they can kiss future electoral victories goodbye.
"The party is evolving, regardless of what the platform says," said LCR executive director Gregory Angelo. Therefore, Angelo argued, continued opposition to marriage equality will have disastrous consequences for the electoral prospects of the Republican party, as poll after poll demonstrates that a majority of Americans now support marriage equality.
"That is a fantastic way of giving Democrats fodder to attack Republicans," said Angelo. "It’s a great way to make the 2014 election all about this. It’s a great way to make the 2016 election all about this.”
Watch the segment below.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 14 min 20 sec ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 1 hour 14 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 2 hours 14 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 2 hours 15 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM