Former Ex-Gay Staffer Apologizes to LGBT Community
BY Jase Peeples
July 24 2013 5:54 PM ET
The so-called ex-gay movement was left in shambles when Exodus International announced it was shutting down in June, and the group’s leader, Alan Chambers, publicly apologized for the harm it had caused LGBT people over the years for insisting they could be turned straight.
Now Randy Thomas, another long-term supporter and former employee of Exodus, has also issued an apology to the LGBT community for the damage the ex-gay organization caused.
“I participated in the hurtful echo chamber of condemnation," Thomas writes on his blog. "I gave lip service to the gay community, but really did not exemplify compassion for them. I apologize to the gay community for idealizing and reinforcing the institutional groupthink of Exodus. I apologize for remaining publicly silent about the hurt caused by some of Exodus’ leaders and actions. I also apologize for my inexperienced participation in public policy, placing my personal ambition over truly serving the gay community as a Christian friend.”
Read Thomas' full apology on the following page.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM