WATCH: San Antonio Councilwoman Defends Antigay Remarks
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 22 2013 5:40 PM ET
A City Council member in San Antonio this week stood by her antigay remarks, revealed on a secretly recorded audio tape that documented her calling LGBT people "disgusting" as the council discussed a pending nondiscrimination ordinance in May.
Elisa Chan, representing San Antonio's ninth district, held a press conference Tuesday, blasting the former staffer who recorded the exchange and defending her views as protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
"I know many people find the comments made in the meeting offensive, but again, it was a confidential meeting set in the privacy of my office, where none of us are suppose to worry about what we say," Chan said at the press conference. "I stand strong in my First Amendment right to freedom of speech and our right to privacy. And as an immigrant, I consider this the greatest privilege of being a U.S. citizen. … My belief, my views are mine. I do not impose that on anybody else. I'm not asking anybody to agree with me."
The LGBT advocacy group GetEqual Texas issued a warning for travelers that contends San Antonio, which bills itself as a prime travel destination, is not welcoming to LGBT visitors. Read GetEqual's alert at OutTraveler.
Watch Chan's press conference below, via San Antonio's KENS 5.
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 min 46 sec ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 13 min 4 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 14 min 29 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 18 min 18 sec ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 1 hour 1 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 2 hours 56 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM