Gay Russian Teen Uses Twitter to Fight Homophobia
BY Jase Peeples
August 27 2013 1:59 PM ET
Despite Russia’s antigay legislation banning public discussion of LGBT issues, one gay teen in the country is bravely battling homophobia through Twitter, reports Vice magazine.
Using the account @ru_lgbt_teen, a young man known as Kirill gives a rare firsthand account of what daily life is like for LGBT people in the Russian city of Novosibirsk through frequent tweets, dealing with subjects such as how he endures bullying at school, photos of same-sex couples kissing, and his desire to seek asylum.
In an interview with Vice, Kirill explained that he experiences “unimaginable limits of school homophobia, where you are constantly humiliated, insulted, and almost beaten during recess and by the school, while teachers act like they do not notice.”
“I would very much like to leave Russia. I would say that for me, it is kind of an obsession at the moment,” he added. “In the fall I will start learning German, and I plan to study for a few years in Germany.”
Krill also said he believes any boycotts of Russian products or the upcoming Olympic Games in Sochi will not improve the situation for LGBT people in the country. “The main Russian TV channels represent the state propaganda,” he said. “Personally for me and for the majority of gays whom I know, our last hope is the West.”
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 1 hour 53 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM